Sunday, February 27, 2005

Pot roast , chardonnay and the Oscars

Tonight we'll be going to L&L to watch the Oscars (no Psychiatrist games or Desperate Housewives tonight) on their huge TV; it's not one of those attached to the wall, slim as a rail, jobbies, but its got surround sound that causes one's arse to lift off the sofa when the volume's too loud. I'm not sure which I'm looking forward to most, the actual Oscars or the Pot roast--probably the latter.

After I'd written A Son Called Gabriel, being the naive fellow I was at the time and like many writers I suspect, I had visions of my novel being rapidly snapped up and transformed into an excellent script, even envisioned myself writing the 110 page (must absolutely come in at 110 pages or less and lots of white spaces on the pages)thing and sauntering off to Hollywood to collect my Oscar, blah, blah, blah.

Of course, it didn't occur to me that Hollywood people rarely look at literary fiction for new material and, to boot, it probably didn't help that it has Irish themes when the film version of Angela's Ashes wasn't a runaway success a few years ago. It's currently with an independent film company somewhere in Ireland, though I must say they're taking their time getting back to my agent. I suspect they haven't cracked the cover yet or, more likely, are skittish because part of the plot involves the young protagonist struggling with his sexuality as he matures.

Regarding that fly in the ointment, I was dead scared when my publicist started sending review copies off to the Irish press and radio, etc. I really thought they'd have my butt for breakfast, lunch and dinner but, judging by its reception, I have been tremendously encouraged by how much Irish attitudes have changed and matured. It's not so very long ago that James Joyce (and no, I'm not comparing myself to him as a writer so please don't go there)left Ireland because of the Catholic Church and, ergo, Ireland's attitude toward sex--read 'dirty but necessary'. That, thankfully is not the case today, at least not in the Irish Republic. One book review in Irish Connections Magazine--though it was so late in coming, I lost my nerve and lapsed back to paranoia--lavished much praise, but their greatest compliment was that the work deals with a subject overlooked in Irish literature.

So eventually, I'm bound to hear something from that film company in Ireland, but in the meantime, I'm not waiting for them because I know, I just know, they'll be skittish. In any event, I think now it'll make a far better play, so I jolly well think I'll send a copy off to Kevin Spacey at his theater in London to see what he thinks.

[technorati: , , , ]

25 comments:

Livenwealthy said...

Save up to 60% on UK airport parking and hotels with Holiday Extras. Best prices guaranteed for hotels and parking airport parking

Dennery said...

Hello there, I hope you don't mind but I Just wanted to let you know about my site based on heathrow parking but it also covers Travel Related Stuff
such as Cheap Flights, Car Rental, Cruises, Holiday Taxi Transfers, Airport Lounges and much more,
if you or friends are travelling soon you could save a bundle on your next trip.Click Here

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **Dog Coats** site/. It pretty much covers the sale of custom made dog coats.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a apparel clothes dog pet small site. It pretty much covers ##Coats for Dogs## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.

Horse Sense said...

Hi great blog i must remember to bokmark you ... I have a horse racing blog myself I also have a new Online Auction to tell you about here business for sale tenerife get yourself $35.00 worth of free Advertising business for sale tenerife

Chris said...

Hey, You've got a very nice Blog!

Very informative. Be sure to check out my blog on the Make Partition History Campaign.

See you soon :o)

BlueSkies said...

Damian McNicholl, just a quick question, are you or a family member travelling soon?... I have a site based on
Parking near Heathrow but it also covers Travel Related Stuff such as Cheap Flights,
Car Rental, Cruises, Holiday Taxi Transfers, Heathrow Airport Hotels,
Airport Lounges and much more, you your family and friends can save a bundle on your next trip.
Click Here Great work on Pot roast , chardonnay and the Oscars Damian McNicholl

Anonymous said...

Interesting site you have oncaravans for sale uk. Can I interest your readers in my site oncaravans for sale uk

Vivienne said...

Hi Damian McNicholl, when you have a minute, please take a look at my north wales property for sale offer website. My north wales property for sale is a beautiful, sumptuous family home in a coastal village of North Wales. At 12% below the market price, it represents a fantastic property offer. You have a fantastic blog here, keep it up.

North Wales Property said...

Hello Damian McNicholl, how would you like to buy a beautiful, spacious, character north wales property at a fantastic knock down price. A quick sale is desired hence this north wales property offer website. It's amazing, You can read all the details at this north wales property site. This blog that you have here is great, don’t stop.

equine supplies said...

Damian McNicholl GREAT title Pot roast , chardonnay and the Oscars. I am actually looking for horse supplies related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other horse supplies related blogs. Thank you.

Linux Unix said...

Informative collection attorney ohio post.

horse toys said...

Damian McNicholl GREAT title Pot roast , chardonnay and the Oscars. I am actually looking for equine supplies related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other equine supplies related blogs. Thank you.

photokorea said...

Hello

I woul like to tell photo contest information on your cool blog site.


Dynamic korea

Apply 2005 Photo contestApply 2005 Photo contest

More information
click here

photokorea said...

Hello

I woul like to tell photo contest information on your cool blog site.


Dynamic korea

Apply 2005 Photo contestApply 2005 Photo contest

More information
click here

www.k-and-ktreasures.com said...

I just came across your blog about shopping mall washington dc and I think it is really informative for all of your members. You could consider visiting my site about shopping mall washington dc to guide your guests towards products and services related to shopping mall washington dc. Keep up the good work!

Pat Martin said...

I enoyed your blog.. please check mine out for christmas gift his open present related content.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog on digital camera comparison while searching the web and wanted to tell you it is great. Feel free to have your participants view digital camera comparison for more great ideas.

nwp--67d16d said...

Hello Damian McNicholl, I would like to invite you to take a look at my north wales property offer. This lovely north wales property is on special offer because a quick sale is required. This is a great blog that you have here, keep it up.

nwp--7eabe3 said...

Hi Damian McNicholl, when you have a minute, please take a look at this north wales properties for sale offer website. This north wales properties for sale is a lovely, family home in a coastal village of North Wales. It’s on for special discount price, that represents a 12% savings for any buyer. You have a fantastic blog here, keep it up.

nwp--67d16d said...

Hi Damian McNicholl, when you have a minute, please take a look at this north wales property for sale offer website. This north wales property for sale is a lovely, family home in a coastal village of North Wales. It’s on for special discount price, that represents a 12% savings for any buyer. You have a fantastic blog here, keep it up.

nwp--68264b said...

Hi Damian McNicholl, if you or anyone you know are looking for a north wales property for sale, please take a look at this north wales property for sale website. My north wales property for sale is on special offer because a quick sale is required. It is a great savings for any buyer!
Your blog is great and I have enjoyed reading through – well done.

We are now open for biz said...

Hi #NAME#. I am searching for the latest information on and found your site. Although ##T
ITLE## wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for related information. Great post and read!!

Greg said...

http://2relico.comdome home and dome home Ideas for Home Construction projects. If you own a home and need to work on dome home then al I want to say is Yea.... I wood love to let you in on a secret about home repairs... People ask me all the time about dome home and they want to know simple ways to solve ther problems ...well I have the answers and If you go to http://2relico.com dome home and go through the site you will find what you are looking for... what can I say butt get going ...

airline tickets said...

It is always a pleasure to visit sites like yours. I was searching for some info on airline ticket and arrived at your site. I found it very informative though I was really interested in airline ticket related information.

Drop by my site one of those days if you care to http://www.cheap-flights.ebizempires.com